Wednesday, February 3, 2010

February 14th-From a Single Perspective

As Valentine's Day (also known as S.A.D.-Singles' Awareness Day) approaches, I always say to myself and sometimes to friends that I have this feeling it'll be my last Valentine's Day alone. Only Jesus knows if that's really true or not this year, but one thing He has been showing me is that it's okay if it's not. Why do I want to be in a 'luv' relationship? In devotions during Pastoral Theology yesterday a classmate was talking about the story of Ruth and what a generous love looks like. I had to ask myself the question Do I want love for selfish motives? Biblically, selfish love is an oxymoron. I had to hash out the thought. Do I just want someone's hand to hold? Someone to hug affectionately? Someone to listen? Someone to care? Someone who makes me feel pretty? Those were questions asked in the devotional. My first answer was maybe. But the more I thought about it the more I realized that's not what I want at all! Sure those things would be nice. But I don't want a relationship built on what one person can do for me. I want it to be about what I can do for others. 
Valentine's Day is a sweet time to honor the one you love most, the one you've loved all year. So I've decided that even if this isn't my last "Valentine's Day alone," that's alright! I've come this far and I'm still breathing! haha Until God sees fit to add that element to my life, I will take this time to begin the eternal project of perfecting the art of loving-God and people. It's a journey, but then so is life. And what is life without love?


1 comment: