Monday, January 18, 2010
Lame Jokes and Merry Hearts
I had a very productive day today full of reading about how to construct sermons and what not to do. I also did a book report and managed to spend time with my suitemate at the same time. But the best I felt today wasn't only in my alone time with the Lord, in getting ahead in my studies or having the day for down time. Dinner tonight with my suitemates and a friend of theirs was by far the best part. Becki told random jokes that have thus far proved to be out of character for her; she was laughing SO hysterically that even though the jokes were as lame as the dead frog she talked about we couldn't help but crack up. She had us laughing all the way back to the room. Today the Lord showed me something or rather reminded me of something very important. Laughter truly is a medicine (Proverbs 17:22), friends really are a gift from the Lord. The other thing He reminded me of was a plaque I bought this time last year which reads "You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips." I could preach all day about the joy of the Lord but on the way back to the room tonight we lived it. We practically rolled back to the room due to laughter. Sometimes you won't feel like laughing but never fear! Happiness and joy are two separate things...Joy was joining in laughter not because the joke was funny-it was pretty sad actually! But we were laughing because Becki was happy! We were laughing because we had never seen her that way and it freaked us out a little. Maybe I'm not expressing this in the best way I know how but what I'm saying is joy isn't about your circumstances. The stacks of books I have organized representing the reports due between now and April 30th, the sicknesses of those I love, the unsure (to us, not God) future, the devestation of Haiti's population don't lend to laughter. But knowing that Jesus Christ came to this earth to live a sinless life, die on a cross for my sins and your sin, rise from the dead to prove that He is in fact who He said He was, and the knowledge that He now sits at the right hand of God making intercession for me no matter what circumstance I'm going through lends to a joy that is unspeakable and full of glory. You can be sad and still know joy, His joy. The joy that gives you strength to face another day, the joy that gives you strength to climb up on His lap and learn how to get through the pain you may be feeling. Beyond your present circumstance there is hope for your future! (Jeremiah 29:11) There is the promise of Jesus Christ HIMSELF being our peace (Ephesians 2:14). You may not feel it right now. But there is the fact that a better day is coming for those who have accepted Jesus Christ as savior. That's something to be joyous about!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment