Sunday, February 7, 2010

Love, Betrayal, and a Life Changing Action

Have you ever been betrayed? Ever felt the sting of rejection? Ever tasted the bitterness of being made vulnerable by the very ones you trusted?

And how did that make you feel? Angry? Hurt? Frustrated? Sad?

Where did it leave you? In the middle of the road, refusing to go any farther until you had some answers? Turning around to track them down? Or running on ahead to get away from it all?

I have been betrayed in my life. Now, I don't like to throw that word 'betrayed' around like I'm a martyr or something. Webster's Dictionary defines this verb as being unfaithful in guarding, maintaining, or fulfilling: to betray a trust. If you have lived longer than three years, you've most likely been betrayed. Whether an aquantance snatched your favorite crayon in kindergarten, a bully stole your lunch in first grade, or more serious matters of the heart that I won't give examples for so that you can insert your own story. I don't want you to relive the awful feelings that the serious stories made you feel. But I want you to recall them to mind for a moment...

"The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes." (1 Corinthains 11:23-26)



On the night He was betrayed. On the night He was betrayed. Jesus knew what was coming. He even knew who was going to betray Him, and who was going to run like the wind to save their own hides (pardon the pun). He knew. I have had far less happen to me and it left me disgusted. How did Jesus go on to bear the burden of the sin of all mankind? How did He go to the cross to die so the very ones who turned their backs for a brief time could be forgiven and used for God's glory? I would have turned in an itemized list with all twelve names on it! I would have said "I know them, they have been following me for the last three years. I couldn't get rid of them. Tonight is the first night they left me." But not Jesus. The very reaction I just gave was another reason He died. He took my place too. How many times have we betrayed Jesus with your lips? How many times have you betrayed Him with your life, your actions, your choices?

Betrayal comes with life. I'm not trying to lift it up or down play it. But what I am saying is that today when I heard that scripture being read before communion, just as I've always heard it, something clicked. I even welcomed all the betrayals of my past! Why? Because it allowed me to see in such a crystal clear way what a tenderly sweet and holy, precious, sacred thing Jesus did. If I had never been betrayed (by something stupid in comparison), I would have never seen the strength of love in what He did. That strong love is the love that will never let me go, and I'm in love with Him.

1 comment: