This Sunday is Easter Sunday (for those of you who don't keep a calendar). For the first time in twenty-one years, I won't be home for it. Life, miscommunication, finances were all players in the game. As I drove home from church hearing Nathan S. and Ryne (two of my favorite fellas) talking about their flights home, my heart began to wilt. I had a vision of my "mammaw"'s Easter table set for after service lunch. Little girls' white Patton leather shoes and socks with an inch of lace above them. I saw so much family crammed into what felt to be the smallest space on Earth in that moment. Smiling faces, welcoming hearts, motherly coos. But then I realized something that made the moment even sadder (is that a word? It is now ;) ). I came to the conclusion that even if I flew home this very minute, none of that would be there anyway.
Time changes things.
The dawn of that moment truly birthed a homesickness I've never known. It also made me realize that this isn't really "home" anyway. There is a City where my King lives. There is no separation of loved ones-no death. There are no tears. There is no night. Memories of my childhood are so illusive these days. But they'd be no good to me anyhow. I am looking to a city whose architect and builder is God. While I'm here, I am to equip others to advance the population of that city. The warm feelings of the childhood I was blessed with are nothing in comparison to the joy that will be completely unspeakable when at last I see the One who has been waiting for me. My Lover, my Best Friend, the Glory and the Lifter of my head. When I see Him as He is, I will truly become who I've been growing towards. I will be forever changed. I'll look the best I ever have (even without the Patton leather shoes!). My heart will leap and my soul will sigh for I will be...home.
"One's home is like a delicious piece of pie you order in a restaurant on a country road one cozy evening - the best piece of pie you have ever eaten in your life - and can never find again. After you leave home, you may find yourself feeling homesick, even if you have a new home that has nicer wallpaper and a more efficient dishwasher than the home in which you grew up."
"Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is." 1 John 3:2
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm sorry friend! Look at it as a new adventure though..and know that God KNOWS and wherever you are HE is and that IS home :).
ReplyDeleteGood truth, Jada girl. I empathize totally.
ReplyDeleteNo more Sundays till' easter!!! I miss you.
ReplyDelete