Everyday we are bombarded with choices. In our American culture we have been taught that many choices are a good thing. A visit to the drive thru at McDonald's made me all too aware of the truth. There are so many choices on the menu: price range, size and percentage of blockage in your arteries. All of these things must come into consideration. So then I land on the choice of chicken selects-for once branching out, wild thing that I am. But then I am asked if I want five, eight or ten. Another decision to make. And do I want a combo? If so, that involves the choice of a drink. I just want food in my body so the hunger pangs will stop, is that too much to ask?! Apparently.
Daily we are left to filter through many choices that fall into different categories. Some choices are easy to make. Other choices shouldn't really be ours to make. And yet other choices are important and hold the power to alter the course of the rest of our lives. Getting ten chicken selects instead of five really doesn't effect much in light of eternity. But a friend who is deciding whether or not to be with a woman who has played with his heart over and over again, can be the crux of his journey.
What does the Bible say about choices? One verse says "I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live." (Deuteronomy 30:19) Though this was originally spoken to the Israelites in a specific situation, we can see for our own lives that really what all of the choices come down to is this: life or death.
Will we choose the things that bring life or the things that ultimately bring death? To further the Mickey D's analogy, heart attack Big and Tasty or a salad?
Are we going to choose studying and working ahead to get better grades and ultimately attain more knowledge for our careers? Or are we going to cheat and take short cuts just to get through and not even be equipped for the job before us? Are we going to live responsibly and look out for others or are we going to live for ourselves and burn bridges? Are we going to choose to truly live for Christ by laying down our former way of doing things or are we just going to say "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" and find ourselves doing things our own way but in the pits of hell?
Life.......death.
He pleads in saying "Choose life so that you and your children may live." What you choose not only affects you but others who come after you. You are paving the way for future generations. Many choices. Small choices. But they lead to great consequences whether good or bad. Think wisely, be decisive, and choose life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

this is JUST what I needed.
ReplyDelete