Thursday, November 3, 2011

Trusting God With A Dream Deferred


As I hear the rain tonight, I am reminded of a word that was spoken over me by Mrs. Paton this past Spring...

It was a personal thing as most events like that are, but the gist of it is this: I'm like a little girl with her face upward in the rain of the Holy Spirit, just waiting and yielding myself to whatever He wants to do in my life. I'm dancing in the puddles and smiling because I am being washed in the Spirit and filled with joy.

I am also reminded to slow down, to relax the muscles that have been tensed and to release my hopes to Him, unafraid. It is a scary thing to continue dreaming after they fail to come to pass. Upon the death of one of the largest dreams of my life to date, I asked God the popular question "Why?" I asked what I was supposed to do and where I was to go from here. But He didn't tell me any of that. What I did hear Him say was even better. In that still, small whisper (a lot like tonight's sweet rain), In response to my challenge "What do I do now that this dream is dead?" His answer was gently Am I not the God of resurrections? I then remembered the story of Lazarus. He had been sick and so his sisters sent word to Jesus to come so that Jesus could heal him. But Jesus waited two more days before He headed to the city of Bethany. When He did finally leave, He already knew that Lazarus was "asleep" in death but He said that Lazarus's sickness wouldn't end in death. When He got there Lazarus had been dead for four days. The sisters were deeply upset at Jesus, saying things such as "If you hadn't waited so long he wouldn't be dead. You could've healed him!!" Jesus wept with them even though He knew what was going to happen next. He loved them so much that He wept at the thought of their grief...and perhaps at their lack of faith. You see, they thought backwards. They thought that Jesus could heal sickness but not death in this life. They thought it was too late for anything to be done. But Jesus longed to show them that not even death could limit His power. If Lazarus had not died, God would not have been glorified as greatly in that situation. Jesus even said “Lazarus is dead, and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe.” (John 11:14 & 15)
Sometimes things have to die in order for our belief to be aroused. Sometimes things have to die in order for us to be convinced that Jesus really does care about what concerns us. And sometimes, dreams have to die before we will put them in Jesus's hands and allow Him to breath His life into them.
He asked them to lead Him to where Lazarus was buried. They removed the stone and Jesus called him by name and commanded him to come forth. Glory was given to God as the people were greatly amazed. People were even added into the Kingdom because of it.
You see, your revived dream with God's touch is better than a living dream with your touch.

Hearing the soft rain landing on the roof reminds me that God speaks in the small things such as a child's soft "I love you" and He speaks in the big things such as the death of a hope or a dream...and bringing it back to life- life surrendered to His will. Are you experiencing a time in between where you thought you would be at this time and where you actually are? Are you experiencing what seems to be a dead end road, a change in seasons in life or an unexpected hurt? I leave you with the Holy Spirit's words to me. Am I not the God of resurrections? The longer you know Him, the more you will find it true that yes, indeed; He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment