Saturday, November 5, 2011

When God Whispers


All day Mammaw was on my mind. I just felt like I needed to go by her house and see her. I hadn't seen her this week or talked on the phone with her since Tuesday. My mom and I went by after our day out of shopping for a wedding gift for a lovely friend of mine. Mammaw was surprised to see us and genuinely pleased to have us come in (more than usual). Though she told us of her worries, and mentioned that she misses my pappaw and sometimes wonders what he'd look like now if he were still with us, our visit was pleasant and before we knew it, Mom and I had been there for several hours. We caught up on plans for the holidays, joked about various things and laughed heartily. She kissed us goodbye and gave us warm grandmotherly hugs, and said with a satisfied tone "I sure am glad you girls came by today." Mom and I returned the gesture and waved goodbye with smiles on our faces and enjoyed the Sugar Maples still ablaze in their Fall splendor. But just a moment ago I looked down at my phone and saw the date. November 5th. And it registered with me: Today marks sixteen years since the death of my pappaw, my grandmother's beloved life partner.
Listen to those whispers of the Holy Spirit. A lonely soul, a hurting heart may be the reason for His nudges.

Be blessed on this November evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment