Friday, December 31, 2010

Sister of My Soul


When I think of the plan and future God has for me, this is what I see in my mind. Bright, endless, beautiful.


"Mary, I look at you, so willing to deliver Truth, sister of my soul."-Nicole C. Mullin

Luke 1:26-45

I have always learned from people in the Bible. The struggles they went through and the ways God still was able to use them has always inspired me in some way. After all, if He can use David and still call him a man after His own heart after David having committed murder, adultery and being prideful-He can still use me!
But I think I have always been so careful to not put Mary, the mother of Jesus on a pedestal that I have avoided her person completely. Not that I haven't learned from her example to ponder things in my heart but I have not looked at her heart. She was a woman who was young, probably about fourteen or so. She was a virgin, she had found the man she was going to marry. But then an angel, Gabriel came to her and told her of a plan that was far bigger than hers. He told her that she was blessed and highly favored but that "greatly troubled her," the Bible says. So he repeated himself "Do not be afraid, you have found favor with God."
He then proceeded to tell her what that favor would require of her. In Luke chapter one, verse thirty-four Mary asks "How will this be?" So Gabriel explains that she just has to be willing to be used and he does this by saying "The Holy Spirit will come on you." The Holy Spirit will come on HER. She didn't have to do anything. He then encouraged her with the news of Elizabeth being pregnant with John the Baptist at such an old age. He then directly answers her question "How will this be?" in saying "with God, nothing is impossible." That is all it took to make her willing. She simply said "May it be to me as you have said."
Elizabeth confirmed what the Lord had spoken through Gabriel "In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?" Luke 1:42-43. Mary was blessed because she believed that what the Lord said would be accomplished. (Luke 1:45)

God has spoken something to my heart. He has told me what His favor requires of me. We often don't think of favor as asking something of us. But in His love and approval of us, when we do well with little, we become responsible for more. The blessing God has spoken to me has had me "greatly troubled" because I didn't see it happening. I even said "How will this be?!" But through the example of Mary He whispers to me "with Me, nothing is impossible." I don't have to do anything but be willing to let Him have His way. And His way is so wonderful that why would I not want this? The Holy Spirit has come on me and all I have to do is say "May it be to me as you have said." An awesome friend of mine reminded me (the confirmer who in Mary's story was Elizabeth) that I need to believe what God has told me all before this passage came to my spirit. She then reminded me of Luke 1:45:" Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!”
Though I am NOT having the second virgin birth, haha I will say that Mary and I have a lot more in common than I ever noticed before. I think God was saving that realization for the perfect time-the time of spiritual alignment in my own heart. With all of that done it is now time to further follow Mary's example in Luke 2:19 and treasure these things the Lord has promised, shown and given me and ponder them in my heart.


God, when you come to me and remind me that I'm favored, when you come and explain what that favor puts me in the running for, let me be a willing vessel and understand that willingness is all you need from me because the Spirit will come on ME and do the work through me. Calm my fears with this truth just as you did with Mary.
Remind me that the impossible task you've breathed as a dream will be possible because with you, nothing is impossible. May it be to me as you have said. Bring someone to confirm it even though I don't need it, just because that will be further proof. Help me believe that what you have said will be accomplished and bless me for it. Thank you for the Spirit of revelation. Help me focus on you.

12.30.10

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Jada. The Lord is using you & your insights in your last couple of posts to refresh me in some important facts and help me sort through a tremendous challenge I am facing. Thank you for sharing your heart.
    Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete