Saturday, December 25, 2010

Presents, Presence, Snow

I woke up with the excitement of a young child, not able to wait for my parents to wake up. But this year it wasn't because I couldn't wait to see what it is they may have gotten me. I couldn't wait for them to open their gifts. With that being said, I can't wait to have kids! The presents they got me were thoughtful and chosen with care and as I opened them I was overwhelmed with what creativity and love my parents have. I had a horrible nightmare several nights ago and since then it has made me so appreciative of the simple presence of my parents. I know that for some this holiday season, that horrible nightmare of the death of a parent isn't something you are able to wake up from and rush to the phone as I did to be able to call them and hear their voice. Arguments seem so trivial. No task seems to be too difficult. The highlight of my day was taking a Christmas nap with Dad, hearing his heart beat and hearing Mom humming in the kitchen as she finished up goodies to take to my aunt's house tonight. Simply being present in the present is a gift within itself. Seeing people for who they are in my life, not wasting precious time but being able to soak up everything they have to offer and not wasting opportunities to love and serve is something I'm wanting to be way better at.
Playing Hungry Hungry Hippos and then dolls in their dollhouse with my ten-year-old cousin Emma was so fun. At first when she asked me to play Hungry Hungry Hippos for the (literally) 8th time, I hesitated. But then I thought back to when I was ten. If I had had a twenty-two year old cousin who would play with me, that would have been the best thing ever! I would have remembered that for a very long time. So I decided that playing the 8th (through 15th) round and getting what I dubbed Hippo Burn (which is a very technical term for the redness your hand shows after competitively slamming down the hippo tail so many times!), then playing with her adorable dollhouse I found that we were making a memory for both of us to share. I was so glad I was present in that moment and was able to be what Emma needed me to be. I was glad that I was able to help make another memory for her childhood (and quite honestly, for mine!). I also realized that all of my life I have prayed and sought God for things and people and situations but sometimes He just wants me to just...be there. I just need to trust that I am where He wants me.
As the snow fell today, as the white blanket covered the earth, I thought of what Jesus came to do. Today we celebrate His coming because He is worthy and He made us worthy. Only His blood could wash me whiter than snow. To see fields and fields of white, trees even covered in white, otherwise evergreens covered in white further drove home the point. I was so unworthy. He knew I would dishonor and under-appreciate my parents. He knew I would waste precious time. He knew I would do things-even simply being born into humanity-that would deem me unworthy of the holiness of God. Yet while I was still in that sin, that mess, that dirt, Jesus came to the earth as a baby, lived a sinless life, died on my cross and rose from the dead and ascended to the right hand of the Father to be a go between from me to God. ("But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8)
Just as the snow covered anything and everything that would be still long enough, even piles of dirt, Jesus' blood will cover whatever is impure in our lives if we put it under that Blood.
This Christmas season think about being in the today. Be present with those you love. Understand that in light of eternity when either of you are gone from this earth so many things are not worth quibbling over. Also, understand that whatever has you running from the very One who can save you from your self is a waste of your life-and His. Stand still, allow His Blood to cleanse you. You'll be whiter than the freshly fallen snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment