Monday, November 29, 2010

Thankful for the Promised Things


The other day I was waiting for my Olive Garden to go order and I found myself watching a sweet little old couple. He was using his cane and leaning on her. He looked like a Harold and she could answer to Sadie.
My imagination floated backward with the breeze and I saw all the times she leaned on him-in the night when the kids were crying and if she had to get up one more time she'd scream. At the next cry, without discussion he slips out of bed to go check on the baby.
Or when Sadie's mother forgot her name and she broke down as she did the laundry and he silently held her, then finished the ironing.
As evening approaches on their marriage, I see Sadie helping Harold keep his balance. This is probably nothing new after 55 years. Its just a more physical leaning now. As they walked out of my sight I can't help but see the parallel. She's looking back at the life they've shared and I'm patiently waiting to share my life with someone. I like my view better. As the Lord continues to give me dreams of my children and instructing me to pray for them and my grandchildren, that is the only promise I need to satisfy me. I'm thankful for the promised things.

3 comments: