Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Heavy Desires In the Process of Being Fulfilled: How to keep them from crushing you under their weight

It isn't that I don't love my family. I do. Very much. But somewhere along the line, staying in this town became equated with failure. Failure to "escape," what I'm supposed to be escaping I don't know. Failure to break free and be different than the last five generations of my family. Failure to make something of myself. Going off to college and not staying gone meant failure. Sure sign of it. Where did I get this idea? I'm not sure. But tonight while talking to one of my friends, that is what flowed out of my thoughts. After he mentioned that we are so much alike, going through many of the same things at the same time, when I brought up the fact that at one point I had begged God not to make me stay here he bluntly yet quietly stated "I guess that's where we differ." That statement hit me between the eyes as I reflected on his tight knit relationships with his family and friends back home. I realized that in his statement reason carried that I did not share those sentiments with my family and for the first time I felt shame about this feeling of having failed. Am I where God wants me? Yes. Is it so bad? It's actually quite wonderful. Is God able to move in my life here? You bet. Especially since it is where He has called me, at least for today. Do I desire different circumstances than the ones I find here? Certainly. But God's way in God's time. His time isn't like mine, after all. My smart, godly friend also said "I don't think you ever want to get somewhere too early." This drew out a thought of my own "It must be as miserable as getting there too late."
And I'm left with the heart crushing question "What do you do when you are under the burden of your desires in that time of almost and not yet?" I will follow the advice of my friend: you wait. You follow king David's lead as you wait.

Looks like I'm going to be digging through the Old Testament for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment