Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Home

I am not a city girl.
If I had a lot of money, I'd like to go on a shopping spree. Don't get me wrong.
But I'm not a catch a cab, concrete jungle, street names are only numbers kind of girl.

Queen Anne's Lace. Wading in a pond. Taking pictures with old barns and bales of hay. Meeting for a family get together at a fish camp (in a place where people know what a fish camp is!). Tractor pulls. Small hometown parades. Homemade Sundrop pound cake. Homemade Cheerwine Ice Cream. Porch swings and porch ceiling fans. You can say "tea" and everybody with sense knows it'll have 2 cups of sugar in it. No need to add "sweet" to its name. Mountain cabin by a winding creek. Wild flowers. Rolling hills. Sweet babies. Friendly people who have manners, tact...couth.

I'm a small town girl. I see no shame in that. Small town doesn't mean small mind. It means that after going all over the world, and graduating from a university you have a place to call home that is more than one confined space. Some people dream of fame or fortune or are never satisfied with the horizons they stretch. But I will always love home. No matter where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment