Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire

Henri Nouwen's "The Way of the Heart" has given me something to chew on since the day I bought it last week. I went to Barnes and Noble to find two books I wound up having to order through Amazon anyway. For me to just pick up a book someone suggests (no matter how much I respect them) and spend $13.00 on it is not usually in my radar. But last Monday the Holy Spirit catapulted me into a new season the moment I picked the book up off of the shelf.
I won't be too self disclosing and I won't bare my heart. But I will say that as a people person I love to be around people a majority of the time. Even if it is just one friend, I usually don't like being by myself. Don't get me wrong, I like fishing and just sitting still. I like going for a walk in silence sometimes. I like jogging as a way to think and clear my mind. But mostly, I just love being around people. Maybe it's because I've only been here a week, but I don't have anyone to spend time with. When I get up in the morning the couple I'm living with have already left for work. I come to the church to do what I need to do, I leave. And the couple I live with are not home yet when I return. It's a day in, day out kind of thing.
I would love to get to know new people. But at the same time I am not too desperate. I know that solitude is a gift that He is giving me. His Spirit calls to me in the early morning hours. I hear birds singing and feel a cool mountain breeze blowing through the open window. In the afternoon I hear Him say "Come for a walk with me. There is so much for you to learn." The sunlight dancing across the hardwood floor invites me to dance in His presence. My only drawback is time and energy. I haven't been acting on those promptings. I fall back to sleep until I just absolutely have to peel myself out of the bed. Instead of an afternoon walk I took a nap. Instead of dancing, singing, praying in His presence I have just sat numb and wondering why I am so tired. But I hear the Lord speak even now "What you are doing wearies Me. No wonder you are wearied!" He wants to refresh me and spend time with me and I keep blowing Him off. What am I thinking?!
My adventure for this evening will be to listen to what the Spirit says, to do what He wants me to do so that I can fully reap the benefits. I pray that I will be lead by the Spirit and be in step with the Spirit. But how will either happen if I never get moving? New revelation, new mysteries, new visions, new prophecies are waiting. He is waiting to reveal those things to me on the other side of this slump I'm in. As of this moment I CHOOSE to get up out of it and walk victoriously and boldly toward the sound of His voice. He wants to reveal things to you too. Take the time. There is such a difference when we do. He's speaking. Listen and obey. I know that I'm starting. Right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment